Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for coronavirus.
He could miss the remainder of the season, too. Although Hamilton has only been ruled out of this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain for the time being. It will be the first race he has missed since he entered the sport in 2007.
But the 35-year-old Mercedes driver, who wrapped up his record-equalling seventh world championship in Turkey last month, could also miss next weekend’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix if he does not return a negative test before then.
The seven-time Formula One world champion is in isolation after his positive result was announced on Tuesday morning.
An F1 statement said: “The FIA, Formula One and Mercedes Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PRC testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for Covid-19.
“In accordance with Covid-19 protocols, he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared. The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula One will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.”
Hamilton’s Mercedes team said Hamilton, 35, reported “mild symptoms” on the morning following Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix where he claimed his 11th win of the season.
“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme,” a statement from the Formula One team read.
“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive.
“Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has been confirmed by a retest.”